Saturday 4 May 2013

Literature Review 1.

' Dance teaching methods and curriculum design- Gayle Kassing, Danielle.M.Jay'

I have been reading this very helpful book online about dance teaching. There was an extract in there talking specifically about new dance teachers and how important it is for them to set there rules from day one.

In just the first paragraph a strong statement is made,

' Effective teaching depends on a teachers ability to organise and manage the dance class'

I feel this is an important point as being a teacher involves a lot of preparation before the class has even began. To have an effect on the children/ students, the way the class is planned out and handled during the time of the lesson will result in it being successful or not.

The extract explains that a positive atmosphere should be given in the class and that appropriate feedback is given to students. I agree with this, as if the teacher is being very negative or bringing his/her problems they might be having outside of the class into the room, then this will have a massive effect on the children. Also giving the correct type of feedback is imperative as you don't want to discourage a child with constant negative comments but if you praise them all the time they are never going to have any room for improvement.

The author states that as the teacher of a dance class it is you that 'sets the freedom for the class. '
I think this is a fantastic statement as from the moment you first take a class you have made an impression and the children have made a judgment on what they can do in the class.

 ' It is easier to set boundaries in advance than trying to in-corporate or adjust them later. '

As a new teacher it is essential to be strong and firm with the class from the beginning rather than trying to be their best friends and then wonder why they wont listen to you and having no control over them at all.

Another extract from the book explains how your the way you speak to you're students can have an effect on their reactions.

' Does your volume and tone encourage or frighten students? Think before you speak. What you say and how you say it set the tone of your class. '

I feel that this is a really important point that author has made. Generally, I am a very loud person. People often tell me to stop shouting. (even though I think I am not) In some situations in a class this would be a positive point that I was loud and energetic, it would be encouraging for the students and would keep them alert but sometimes I have to remember to tone my loud voice down. At times it can be very intimidating to a child if you are screaming around the room, especially if the child was new to the class or a shy person. I believe as a teacher it is your duty to asses the atmosphere in the class and choose carefully the tone of your voice.

I find many extracts from the book very helpful to read as I am starting out as dance teacher. At times in the book I find that the author repeats her self about the same topics which I don't think is needed if the subject has already been touched upon, but generally there is a lot of great information.

I look forward to developing my knowledge further using the help of other pieces of literature and research from my Inquiry.


References.

Online:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bTm-W4oX0HgC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Pages 72 and 75.




No comments:

Post a Comment